Silivri Facebook
banner101

Germiyan Greek Church

The church was built by the Patriarchate in 1868. Since the first name of the village, which was later renamed Değirmenköy, was Germiyan, the church was given the same name and remained so.

While the church was under construction, many people worked and even II. Even Abdülhamit took part in the construction of the church. The architecture of the church is rectangular, basilical type. After the Population Exchange between 1923-1924, when the Greeks left the region, the church was used as a mosque and school.

Değirmenköy Neighborhood Değirmenköy was raised to the status of neighborhood after the local elections held in 2009. It is located on the E-5 highway in the west of Selymbria Silivri district, approximately 23 km from the district center.

Looking back at the historical records, it seems that the name Germiyan was given to the region in 1836. The name story marks the period of Conquest and expansion into the Balkans.

During this period, the name Germiyan emerged as a result of the arrival of the Germiyanoğulları living in Kütahya and some of the families living in the Silistra sanjak in Bulgaria to the region. There were people who settled in the region from other Greek villages located close to the settlement center.

With the increase in the Greek population in the region, the village has experienced demographic and geographical growth. In the same period, a church was built in the village, which Abdülhamit II helped. As time passed, the Greek population increased and the region changed into a "Greek village" when the Turkish population remained in the minority. Windmills, which have become symbols in the village, have made the name of the village Değirmenköy.

Dikkat!

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girşi yapmanız gerekmektedir. Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun.

Üye Girişi Üye Ol